Wednesday 9 November 2011

Bosnian Caricatures

When I was 18, I went interrailing in the summer before uni.  We visited a string of places, concentrating on the central portion of the Eastern Bloc in Europe, including Prague, Budapest, and a variety of Croatian towns, cities and islands.  But Bosnia was the first place that has EVER moved me in that way that seems impossible to articulate, the same passion you get from professional travelers and writers who truly fall in love with their destinations.  It had such an effect on me that for at least a year afterwards I was obsessed to the point of buying a number of books and films about the place.  Despite everything it's been through, Bosnia seems to be a nation of enduring smiles, kind eyes, and somehow, through all the scarring and the bullet-holes, Beauty.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment