Tuesday 23 October 2012

Digitize


So I think it's about time I got a digital camera.  I've always had an analogue SLR.  It was my first proper camera, first real photographic experience and, frankly, first love.  My gorgeous Pentax K1000 will always be my baby, but I've recently realised that I'm not really taking it out as much as I should.  I love film.  I always will.  But it is expensive, and clearly I keep having scanner problems. And to add insult to injury (quite literally) the camera is made of metal and weighs a tonne, so whenever I walk around with it strapped over my shoulder I end up with bruises all over my hips.  It's great for taking to special occasions, where I know there will be moments to capture, but I really want something light and practical to take around with me even when I don't plan on taking pictures, just in case. 

A few years ago I had a compact which was just great for freshers week and taking out to clubs ant parties because it was so terrible and cheap that it didn't really matter if I lost it.  And of course, I lost it.  I never found a replacement.  Ever since I seem to resort to my awful Blackberry camera when I see something out and about that I'd like to capture (see latest post), and this seems almost sacrilegious when I care so much about photographs.

I went through this photodoc phase last year and was convinced that I wanted to become a photojournalist, and promised myself that I would save up for a really decent DSLR.  Thank god I'm over that phase.  Not only was it unrealistic, but a DSLR would only add to the problem I'm trying to solve.  What I really want is a bridge camera.  Something as small and practical as a compact, but with the handling and quality of a DSLR. 

Enter the Fuji X10.  Okay, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that one of the things I was initially drawn to was the look of the thing.  Having always worked with vintage film cameras, I am comfortable with the way they look, and the way they look makes me happy.  Unfortunately I am far too aesthetically minded.  Okay, shallow.  But I don't think you can be really seriously passionate about anything visual without being that way.  So yes.  I like the look of it.  But, aside from this, it has GREAT REVIEWS on handling (very similar, in fact, to an old analogue style of handling, so I can dive right in without feeling overwhelmed technologically), image quality and it's LITTLE!  I can carry it around all day in my handbag, round my neck, wherever, whenever, and still know I'm going to take great quality photos.  And hopefully it will make my blog look a bit nicer too.

No comments:

Post a Comment